So I was able to get some time and start the skinning process for my first actual releasable game (small -- only 10 levels) using the Hondenkat Engine. It's going to be just in time for the start of the new Game of Thrones season!
Thought I'd take some time to mess around with the game startup and polish portion of the engine. After moving away from the book theme, I decided the game board should drop in (missing little clouds of dust) and the rest of the UI afterwards. It's a lot cleaner and simpler. It will also make for an easier transition to web and mobile if the time ever comes.
I was able to work on another of the side systems in the Hondenkat Engine. This one is related to the collectable items you can find while in the randomly generated map mode or wherever else you see fit. In the demo game I'm going to be adding some treasure entities that appear on the map that unlock specific collection items.
As you can see here this is all that needs to be added (not counting the frame in the collection movie clip) to add new items to the collection.
I just finished wrapping up the main chunk of code that runs the game and am ready to start on my small demo for the world. It'll include a handful of levels and a very basic "collection" system.
I also started writing some documentation for myself on how to add new tiles, dialogue, etc. so I don't forget. After working on code for a while and working on other pieces, you tend to forget the simple stuff.
I did work on the menu systems in the game. They all do what they're supposed to and are accessible via both mouse and keyboard. The keyboard shortcuts are accessed by pressing the first letter of the different buttons, such as "n" for next level or "r" for restart level.
After a little bit of a delay, I was able to get back into the seat of design and coding. I started working on adding a few more movement abilities to the ghosts, which ultimately are the enemy units in the game. Originally they were only able to move left and right. Now they can move up and down. I also created these "rotate tiles" that do not affect the user, but when the ghost lands on the tile they will rotate 90 degrees and face a new direction.
I also took into consideration a comment made by someone a month or so ago. The original design of the game was supposed to look like an old book, but it really did make the game right-heavy. All the action was happening on the right side of the screen and made it feel like wasted space. By shoring up the main page in the center and putting all of the auxillary information on the edges, you're able to focus on the middle of the screen and still get all the other information I wanted to present.
It's true that it no longer looks like a book, but felt this was ultimately for the better. I can still theme the game to look like a book without the need to actually make the background a literal book.