Entries in game development (344)
What I did was for each herb and spice to generate 12 random numbers between 1 and 12, which represents the months January through December. Why 12 random numbers? No real reason.
The spreadsheet then finds every entry for every herb and spice that equals the month I'm currently looking to populate. I then copy all of those entries and put them in the appropriate array in the game. Each entry is actually a reference to a specific herb or spice. So if the "January Day Time" array has a lot of "Basil" entries in it, then the probability of finding that entry is higher since the game looks in that specific array and randomly chooses one.
Friday, March 25, 2016 at 1:10PM
One of the main challenges was how you create a small enough deck while being able to communicate the information you need on each card. What you see above is my initial take on it. The issue I ran into was that I couldn't produce a card that provided the right data without being confusing. The idea would be you have a card of a certain color and it would have extended arms of different bonus values on each side. Only if the adjacent card matches that arm do you get the bonus.
The problem is the way it is laid out makes it confusing. It's not clear the top-left green card should receive the bottom-left blue card bonus, for example.
This is just a quick study I did over lunch. I may pursue this game for my May 2016 Patreon game. My April game is already spoken for. :)
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 2:39PM
(Note: The game is currently only available as a Mac download and Android APK. It's pending review on the iOS AppStore, so a few weeks until it's available there.)
My game Spice Digger is complete! I think it took about 10 hours to build, from concept to completion with all of the art. Overall I feel like it was a really good experience for me. I kept things within scope based on the time I knew that I had and I was able to complete a project that captured what I wanted to do with it.
I decided to boil down the Roguelike genre into the most basic pieces I could muster: turn-based movement, every step you take decreases your health, enemies will only move when you move, maps are procedurally generated somehow, and you are trying to complete your mission or get the highest score possible. The parts about generating a map and turn-based movement was easy enough. The difficult part was to do procedurally generated levels without simply relying on "random" to give you a map since you need something somewhat smart so you don't get stuck with an exit placed behind walls you can't reach.
What this would ensure would be a path where you would be able to reach all of the treasures as well as the exit. This meant any given level would have anywhere from 0 to 9 walls, forming a relatively interesting looking map to traverse.
The ghost has a very simple movement mechanic that's four moves long: stay on the space, disappear, appear at a new spot with half transparency, appear in full. If the player enters the same square as a ghost when it is staying on the space or when it transitions from half transparent to full opaque then they will suffer 5 damage. It's pretty easy to avoid the ghost.
I also have this weird fasciation of creating new devices that buttons, knobs, switches, LEDs, whatever, and an appropriate screen. Since manufacturing new hardware is not something in the cards for me, drawing it to be used in mobile is the next best thing. I've been designing my most recent bunch of games in this fashion: geared for mobile, yet spending a lot of screen real estate to illustrate physical buttons that aren't actually there.
It was a fun time to work on this game and I look forward to other game jams I can participate in the future. My current design mentality is what I call "inside the box". I want to create a game that is simple to play, offline, simple in art direction, and something that can generate its own levels until a player is ultimately bored with the mechanic.
The concept is simple and within the constraints of being practical. Practical, in this case, is being a dad of two young boys and working full-time. Outside of an hour at lunch at ~40 minutes on the train, I don't have much more time to work on things.
Now I need to figure out how to generate a random number of walls and treasure spots. While I could simply randomly pick a different x and y, there still is the possibility the same spot gets called on multiple times and overrides the previous value.
Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 8:40PM
Time to work on adding a collection page and I should be good to go.
Monday, January 18, 2016 at 9:16PM
Every creature has a "catch" ratio. This is represented by little pie slices around the disc. Then a spinner spins around the edge and you hit the action button to stop the spinner. If the spinner lands on a visible pie slice, then you catch the bug.
What I don't like about the Yo-kai Watch version is that they use deceleration. That deceleration amount is somewhat random, meaning when you click the action button it will stop somewhere around where you clicked. This always rubbed me the wrong way.
In any case. I've been able to recreate this mechanic and will setup as many creatures to catch as I can muster. I'm going to add some different "appear conditions" like the bugs and fish from Animal Crossing.
Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 9:23PM
Here I'm illustrating one of the beginning scenes from the movie Office Space. I'm having the player control Peter where he leaves his cubicle and shows up at Samir and Michael's cubicle. He then asks them to go to Chotchkie's for coffee.
I guess someone's having the case of the Mondays.