Well, I did it! I was able to create, write, draw, record, photograph, cook, whatever something every day this year. It's certainly been an interesting year, but I guess I say that every year. I don't have any resolutions for 2018, but do like the idea of keeping up on something creative every single day. I may need to refocus my attempts though and narrow my vision, namely on the dream of creating something that can be so mass marketed that I can effectively "sell out". Maybe I can get "Sadie Cat" out there and make it as prevalent as Geronimo Stilton.
Here are some highlights from this year...
- I reached two years at my current employer. They gave me a nice card and a bamboo pot to grow basil.
- I had a successful Kickstarter project for my roll-and-write game Honeycomb Cavern.
- I made buttermilk fried chicken from scratch.
- We survived the holiday season. It was particularly difficult due to all of the immediate Shens getting some variation of a stomach flu. It was also difficult as we hosted Josie's sister's family, which meant a house full of six boys and four adults.
- I wrote my first short story (~7,500 words) about Sadie Cat and her adventure with the Sky Tower.
- I was interviewed on my first board gaming podcast Every Night is Game Night about my game Honeycomb Cavern.
Looks like my vision narrowing will be around...
- Sadie Cat Stories
- Self-published board games in the roll and write / print and play variety
- More print-and-craft items like papercraft or hang tags or something
Happy new year! See you in 2018!