Q: I no longer have the option to choose my free Welcome Back games. What can I do?
A: If you navigate away from the Welcome Back section of the store without choosing your free games or exit the store completely you may need to follow the below in order to choose and download your free games.
On your PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Portable navigate to the PlayStation Network icon on the XMB.
Log into your PlayStation Network account and choose Account Management > Transaction Management > Services List
Choose "PlayStation Network Promotions" from the list of services displayed.
Select either "PS3 Free Games" or "PSP Free Games" and then choose "Select Content".
You will be taken to the store to choose your remaining free games.
Original Post: So, if you're like me, you were really happy to get the free games from the PSN service as part of the "Welcome Back" package. However, I did not follow the directions properly and now have lost both PS3 free games and PSP free games. All I got was that free pixel theme.
Here is what you have to do to also join the club of losing your free games:
1. Select the "Welcome Back" option from the left when you enter the store
2. You'll see four options for games (two PS3 games and two PSP games).
3. Select any of those four options.
4. You'll see a generic first option offering you the free game and a list of the titles below it.
5. Select that first option.
6. Purchase this free option to activate your free game download.
7. After you've purchased it, return to the screen with the free titles to download.
8. IMPORTANT: If you select a game now from that list, you can now download it. If you press the O button, you'll be brought back to the previous menu (the one from step 2) and one of the free game options will have disappeared.
9. If you are like me and pressed the O button, you are like me and did not download your free game. That option is gone. You'll never be able to download it.
Why Sony didn't make this an easier process is beyond me. Apparently I'm not the only one who did this.
You may wonder why I did it four times in a row. Well, I had first tried downloading a title straight off the bat but it said it was not available. So then I downloaded the first option (which is what you're supposed to do) and then tried downloading a title after that, but I got an error saying that the game was not available at this time... so I backed out. I thought it was a fluke and noticed one of the options went away. Maybe it was in my download queue? Nope. Tried it again for the second game, but there was a very long lag between purchasing something and it responding so I had pressed O to retry... except I hit O exactly when the menu popped back up and it backed me out. I was now out two PS3 games... and so on and it all resulted in me continuing to be angry with Sony.
I suppose it doesn't matter much anyway since my PS3 has now turned into that one system that never gets turned out in my house. It might as well be the Wii. Oooo! Burn!