Make365 - Making Items for the Store


Working on a number of things for the store. I'd like to have a stock of at least 10 of each thing before I start sending out random quips to sites like Super Punch or Kotaku. I'll also make sure to have items up for pre-order just in case I run out quickly.

The cabinets themselves have a few different styles now. I'm trying to make their assembly as easy as possible. Having 2" wood squares that are almost squares makes it hard to make it perfect.

Still working on it. Fun times though.

Make365 - Non-Scale Model Arcade Cabinet


Now that I have this crafting bug going on, I decided to actually work on something I've been wanting to for the longest time: a model arcade cabinet.

I was inspired to first try my hand at doing a 1/12 scale arcade cabinet, much like the The Idolmaster Arcade Machine (1/12 scale Plastic model) Wave [JAPAN], but realized that it would be a bit too hard due to the number of pieces I would need. Specifically I wouldn't be able to produce more than one or two without feeling the pinch. The reason is that Figmas are 1/12 scale and I have a number of them.

So after declaring defeat on 1/12 scale, I saw my Tsumugi Nendoroid and decided it would be interesting to attempt a model arcade cabinet for this scale figure. After a few diagrams and sketches in my notebook, it looks like I have the sides and back of the cabinet figured out. It also looks like minimal cutting work.

The front, on the other hand, is going to be a huge pain. Ugh.

Make365 - Automaton Innards #1 Complete


Well, the gears are completed anyway! So it took some time and some wood and some tools, but I finally got the basic cam shaft thing down. What caught me off guard was how limiting you are in movement when the entire box is two cubic inches.

The up and down movement of that thing is only 1/2" or so. I'm pretty sure if I created a crank mechanism inside I could take full advantage of most of the space on the inside. I'll look into that next.

The little guy on top is also just a placeholder. I just wanted to see something bob up and down. What I think I'll actually replace it with is a Luigi drawing and having him stomp a goomba over and over again.

I'll finalize that soon. All in all, this is a project that can actually be mass produced with a pretty small amount of time. That makes me quite pleased. 4 pieces of 2" wood, 3 of which have a 3/16" hole drilled in the center. Have a 1" circular disc as the cam with a 1/8" dowel as the shaft. The moving piece is another 1/8" dowel attached to a board of sorts (in this case a popsicle stick).